Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Vegetarian Horseradish Beef Salad Sandwiches



No doubt one of the reasons I love horseradish so much is my German heritage. We mixed horseradish in potatoes, put it on beef, and slapped gobs of it on sandwiches growing up. And we used to eat potatoes almost every single night when I was a child, so there is no wonder I love potatoes too! I decided to come up with a nice German beef/potato/horseradish salad for our dinner tonight, because, well I like to get creative with what we have in the refridgerator. I decided to add apple because a little sweetness goes well with horsradish, such as beet or parsnip.

Here is what I came up with.

1 bag of morningstar soy beef steak strips
2 tsps. minced red onion
2 small stalks of celery, plus some of the leaves, finely sliced
2 tblsps. horseradish (I added more, but modify based on your taste)
2 tblsps. finely chopped green apple (skin peeled)
2 tblsps. Vegan Mayo (healthier and chicken friendly!) regular will do though
1 hard boiled free range egg white, chopped
1/4-1/2 c. cooked potato, chopped (frozen cubed hash browns work fine)
1. Thaw out steak strips in the refridgerator overnight or just cover with a little water and cook until heated through (you need to cover them with water so they stay tender, otherwise they will dry out and be chewy) and drain the water.

2. Cook the potatos in the microwave if frozen, or chop and cook like you would normally.

3. Cut the steak strips up into about 1/2 inch cubes.

4. Mix everything, and top with a little fresh lime juice.

You can eat this stuffed in a pita bread, with a rye bread, or anyother kind will do.

No comments: