Saturday, August 16, 2008

Fereni (Iranian Rice Pudding with Rose Water)





For Christmas this year my inlaws gave me the famed Iranian cook book New Food of Life by Najmieh Batmanglij. This book is probably in every Persian-American's kitchen. My father in law follows the recipes to the T and makes some very good dishes from it.

Since my husband loves Fereni, he once requested that I make it. The first time I followed Batmanglij recipe. It came out not thick enough and not as rose-tasting as I'd like. So I've made a few modifications. I think I got it down pat now. My husband ate about 4 bowls the last time I made it--he loves the stuff.

My Recipe:

1/4 c. Plus 2 Tblsp. rice flour
4 c. Milk
3 tbsp. rose water
1/2 c. sugar

1. In a saucepan, combine all the ingredients. Cook for about 15-20 minutes stirring almost constantly (good exercise for your arm) until it is thick and creamy.

2. When thick, remove from heat and pour in a bowl and refrigerate at least 8 hrs. When ready to serve garnish with finely chopped pistachios and chopped rose petals. Nush-e Jan! :)

No comments: