Sunday, October 12, 2008

Fried Butternut Squash Filled Wontons


So my picture isn't great...

I recently saw a recipe for butternut squash filled fried wontons. If I remember correctly, the recipe sounded somewhat sweet. I liked the idea, and have a new found love for frying (I got an awesome fryer for a wedding gift), but thought the recipe would be better kind of savory with cumin and onion and a lot of garlic. Actually, I added chili powder and pepper and salt too to make it a tad spicy. They turned out really good, so good that my husband wants me to make a couple hundred of them for our Halloween Party. Here is the recipe.

1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed (seeds removed)
1 pkg litte square wonton wrappers (available at Kroger)
1 half onion, diced
2 tsp garlic chopped
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp chili powder
salt and pepper to taste

1. boil the squash until soft

2. sautee onion and garlic until soft and translucent

3. mix the spice mix in with the onions once they are soft, and cook for another minute

4. mix onion mixture with squash mixture and smash sqush so it is all thouroughly mixed.

5.brush edges of wonton wrapper with water and spoon 1/2 tsp of butternut squash filling into middle and folder up as to make a little hobo bag.

6. Fry the hobo bags in oil until golden brown.

You don't even need a sauce for these, but I was thinking it might work with a chili yogurt sauce.

No comments: