Friday, August 15, 2008

Vegetarian Eggrolls


One of the wedding gifts I received is an Emeril deep fryer. I have really been enjoying this thing. I used to be afraid of deep frying after I gave myself 3rd degree burns on my hands and singed my hair and eyebrows from a deep frying accident where I spilled hot oil in WATER! Don't ever do that. Not only did I hurt myself, I really messed up my mother's kitchen. Anyway, the Emeril fryer is nothing to fear.

Here is my own recipe for vegetarian eggrolls. Enjoy!

1 bag of slaw mix (cabbage and carrots and stuff)
1 bag of morningstar soy chicken strips, chopped up into bitsy pieces.
1/2 c. english peas (frozen is fine)
1/2 c. corn kernels
1 tsp. Chinese Five Spice
1 Pkg. of the large wontons (Kroger has two sizes--small and large)
1 tsp. Low sodium soy sauce
1 tbsp. hoisen sauce
salt and pepper to taste

1. De-thaw Moringstar chicken overnight in the refrigerator.

2. Saute the slaw mix, peas, corn in oil until soft, about 10 minutes.

3. Add the chopped soy chicken (if you add it too early it gets dried out) to the vegetable mix, along with the spices and sauces and salt and pepper. (Taste it to see if you want to add any more)

4. Take one wonton at a time, and brush the edges with water.

5. Place 2 tbsp. the filling on one corner of the wonton wrapper. Roll the corner over it, then fold in the side corners and roll the rest of the way. Try to keep the rolls as tight as possible without breaking the wrapper. I thought it was easiest to mash the filling tightly together in your hand before putting it in the wrapper.

6. Place a couple of the wrapped eggrolls in the hot oil (If you are using a pan on the stove, make sure it is enough to cover the eggrolls. If you are using an Emeril fryer, or any other fryer, make sure you have enough oil to cover the rolls.) Fry until golden brown. Remove from oil and place on paper towels to drain.


<>

No comments: