Monday, September 1, 2008

Parsnip, Apple, and Machego Au Gratin




I went to Feast, and was inspired by the parsnip au gratin they served. I thought it was really clever, and I thought to myself "gee, I don't think I've ever cooked parsnips." So I went home and the next day came up with my own version. I liked the subtle sweetness of the parsnips and how it contrasted with the machego. I thought maybe a teeny bit of green apple would be nice in it as well. I'm doing my best to remember what I all put in it, so here goes. Looking back I think this is an easily modifiable recipe. You could add carrots or any other root vegetable or squash. Feel free to get creative.

1 medium size green apple, peeled and sliced in thin sliced.
1 bunch parsnips, peeled like you would a carrot, and sliced in 1/4 inch rounds
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 cup shredded machego
1 cup shredded gruyere
1/4 stick of butter
4 cloves garlic
2 eggs
salt and pepper to taste
enough slices of hearty bread to cover the bottom of your casserole dish


1. Saute onion and garlic in the butter, until soft

2. paraboil the sliced parsnips until kind of soft

3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

4. In a large mixing bowl, mix the egg, the cheese, sauted onion, parsnips, and sliced apple. Mix until it is all blended.

5. Put a layer of toasted bread on the bottom of the casserole dish.

6. Pour the parsnip mixture in the dish on top of the bread. Pack it down.

7. Top it all up with enough cheese to cover the mix. You should add more or less depending on your love of cheese.

8. Bake in the oven until the cheese is melted and a little bit browing.

Note: Let the au gratin cool a little before slicing, because it will cut easier when a little cooled.

1 comment:

Jared and Beth said...

Shannon! I just discovered your cooking blog. Very exciting! I'll be sure to keep tabs on things. I too enjoy the cooking - though I'm no gourmet. But I am very much enjoying my new knives from the wedding. It was basically the only thing on our registry I was supremely excited to get. Wusthoff Classic :-)