Thursday, September 25, 2008

Mock Voice's Mushroom Cappuccino




Voice published its recipe for its mushroom cappuccino on its website. The soup intrigued me. I thought it was kind of cute. This is why I decided to replicate it. What better place to start with the actual recipe.

First I made the soup exactly the way it was written. The soup turned out super creamy, more than I tasted in the actual soup when I went to Voice, so later took out about 2/3rds of the cream. I also added some other stuff and chose not to put it through a sieve. I like it a little chunky. The foam recipe works well enough. I need to learn how to make it more "foamy". Let me know if anyone knows how to do this. I also added a couple bay leaves and some thyme. My recipe follows.
I love when great chefs share recipes, so I can make a futile attempt at copying them and making them my own.

3lbs mixed mushrooms (crimini, white-button, shitake, baby bella)
2 large onions (sliced thin)
3 tblsp. Chopped garlic
½ stick butter
2 cups dry white wine
5 cups vegetable broth
1/3 cup heavy cream
2 bay leaves
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. paprika
salt and pepper to taste

Saute onions and garlic in butter until caramelized. Add Mushrooms, chopped. Sweat until the mushrooms have shrunk down. Cook about 15 minutes. Add the thyme, paprika, and bay leaf. Add wine and reduce by 3/4ths. Add broth and cream and cook for 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Puree mixture in a blender until smooth.

For foam, mix 1 tbslp truffle oil and ¼ cup heavy whipping cream with a hand mixer until thick. Top pureed soup with truffle foam. Enjoy!

No comments: