Sunday, November 30, 2008

Makhani Paneer (Or close enough)



I went to Bombay Sweets the other day on Hillcroft, and I had this really good dish called Makhani Paneer. After my visit, I stopped by the Patel Brother's grocery store just to browse around. I picked up some shredded coconut and cashews for potential biryani and some ghee and paneer.

Tonight I decided, I'm gonna try to make that Makhani Paneer, so I got on the Internet. I didn't have all the ingredients in the recipes I saw, as they needed fenugreek and more chili powder than I had, so I improvised. I think my "close enough" Makhani Paneer was really good, and my husband gave it a 9.4, and requested another helping about 10 minutes ago (I said "it is too late to eat, baby...so he is eating mango now instead--marriage is about compromise ;)

I served the makhani paneer with a basmati rice with cardamon and cumin seeds and turmeric and a dash of curry. The recipes for the "close enough" makhani paneer and the rice are below.


Cumin and Cardamon Seed Rice (4-6 servings):

1 1/2 c. basmati rice (washed 5 times)
1/8 c. canola oil
1 tblsp. cumin seeds
8 cardamon pods, opened and seeds removed
3 c. water
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp Indian curry powder
salt to taste

Place all ingredients in a rice cooker and let it do it's thang.

"Close Enough" Makhani Paneer (4-6) servings:
1 medium size onion, sliced thin
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 heaping tblsp. ghee or regular butter
28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
14 oz block of paneer, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tblsp chili powder
1/2 tsp turmerics
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tblsp garam masala
1 tblsp Indian curry powder
salt to taste
3/4 c. heavy whipping cream

(I didn't really measure the spices, but taste it as you go to see if you want to add more or less of something)

In a medium saucepan fry the onion with the ghee for 5 minutes, then add the garlic and saute for an additional 5 minutes or until soft and translucent. Mix in all the spices and saute with the onions for about a minute. Add the crushed tomatoes and cook until simmering. Mix in the cream and let it thicken a bit. Transfer the mixture to a food processor and puree. Pour puree back into the pot and add the paneer cubes. Let the makhani paneer cook for another 3 minutes. Serve with the rice, and share with friends :) I'll be eating this for lunch tomorrow!




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

NOM. That looks awesome! Anything with paneer in it is a winner in my book, though. :D

Cassandra said...

that looks so good!!!!
yummy!
http://theplatedecorator.blogspot.com/