Thursday, September 25, 2008

Mini Chile Rellenos

I stopped by the grocery store two days ago with my husband and I saw these beautiful mixed color mini peppers. I thought they’d be cute as mini chile rellenos. Here is the recipe I developed.

1 pkg. mini stoplight colored peppers
½ c. soy crumbles
½ c. hash browns (frozen)
¼ c. onion
2 tsp. garlic, chopped
1 tsp. cumin
½ c. Monterrey Jack cheese, grated
2 egg whites
1 tblsp. Flour
1 can enchilada sauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wash peppers and remove top and seeds. Place peppers on a baking sheet and cook in oven until tender. Meanwhile, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until soft. Mix in cumin and hash browns. Cook until hash browns are hot. Mix in soy crumbles and cook until just heated. Remove from heat and mix in the cheese. When the peppers are soft, remove from the oven and stuff with the crumbles/cheese mixture. With a hand mixer mix the egg whites with the flour until firm peaks form. Dip the stuffed chiles in the mixture until coated. Then sauté chiles in oil in a frying pan. Once browned on each side place chile rellenos on a bed of enchilada sauce. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Sara said...

Yum! These were really awesome (and cute). I couldn't get the egg white mixture to stick so well to mine, so they weren't as pretty... think I should beat them to stiffer peaks next time! Thanks for such a great recipe.