Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Shrimp Empanadas




My husband loved the "Beef" and Cheese Empanadas so much, that he requested I copy the shrimp empanadas from Escalante's. I did, and I must say, I've beat them :)

Recipe:


Follow the recipe for "Beef and Cheese Empanadas" for the dough.

Filling:

1/2 lb shrimp
1/2 block Monterrey jack cheese (it is kind of hard to add too much or too little)
1/2 onion chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 red pepper chopped
1 tomato, chopped
1 tblsp. cumin
1/2 tblsp. chili powder
salt and pepper to taste

1. Saute onion, red pepper, and garlic in olive oil until soft, about 8 minutes

2. Add tomato and spices. Cook until soft.

4. Add Shrimp. Cook for 3.5 minutes.

5. Remove the filling from heat.

6. Add one tblsp. filling to the empananda wrapper, and deep fry following the "Beef and Cheese Empanada" recipe.

Sauce:

1 bunch of fresh cilantro
mayo
vinegar

Okay, so I don't measure--I need to.

In a food processor mince the leaves of the bunch of cilantro. Add about 1/2 c. mayo and 2 tblsp. vinegar. The sauce needs to be creamy and runny, so add enough vinegar to do this.

1 comment:

Lori said...

That sounds really good. Your empanadas look perfect. I think I need to try your recipe.